www.googleadservices.com exception - unblockable?

Benny

On iOS Pro version, I repeatedly see that domain listed in Filtering Log of the System-wide Adblocking, in green with the words "Exception pagead.l.doubleclick.net" after the date and time. Clicking on the entry sheds no light as to why this item is an exception.

This is even after adding it to the blacklist.

Am I missing something or is there no way to block this domain? If it's an issue of which filters I've selected, I don't understand why the blacklist doesn't override.

Thanks!

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
It is whitelisted most likely due to Adblocker detection.

To block it try this user filter:
||doubleclick.net^$important

On which sites do you experience that issue?

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@Benny looks like it is added to exception because otherwise, it is impossible to click on Google search ads. We are still figuring it out if we can improve the current state of things.

Benny

Thanks, will try that!

The logs are triggered from one or more apps, although rather infrequently and not repeatable. So I'm not even 100% sure whether it's a foreground or background app.

Web pages do also trigger this, but that's not where I first noticed it.

I'll report back with results, but first try to give you an app name or two that are the current culprits.

Benny

Tried a bunch of apps and only one that reliably triggered the exception was the official gmail app.

@Blaz -- The new blacklist filter doesn't seem to allow those special characters. At least I can't figure out a way to get them from the onscreen keyboard. The older version would add items in that rule syntax format, but now they just get added like "ads.adcompany.com" without the special regex type characters.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@Blaz -- The new blacklist filter doesn't seem to allow those special characters. At least I can't figure out a way to get them from the onscreen keyboard. The older version would add items in that rule syntax format, but now they just get added like "ads.adcompany.com" without the special regex type characters.
We will add the proper syntax support to the blacklist, I realize it is quite inconvenient now.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It is whitelisted most likely due to Adblocker detection.
We cannot hide Google search ads when blocking ads on the DNS-level, so we've decided that it'd be better if we don't break clicking on those ads as we anyway cannot get rid of them.