Youtube Ads now come up when you first load a video

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Known issue for all ad blockers right now.

Chinaski

Support Marine
Staff member
Administrator
Youtube is implementing a new type of advertising. Which is not visible to all users.
We have added a rule blocking such ads to the experimental filter.
You should enable it, clear the browser cache and try again.

Magic666

well it worked for me, seems they start appearing again....

Edit: might be Vivaldi who was **** up, updated the filter and restarted the browser. No ads so far.

Last edited:

Chinaski

Support Marine
Staff member
Administrator
The fact is that Youtube is constantly changing the algorithms of advertising implementation. Therefore, the issues you have mentioned may arise.
In this case, try to update the filters, clear the browser cache, and try again.
If the issue reoccurs, it is advisable to temporarily turn off the experimental filter.

teke928

his been fixed yet? for two months now i haven't been able to watch youtube. i keep trying the things you listed, and its very frustrating to keep doing it, yet it may work once or so but it consistently returns to ads or blank videos depending on if i have adguard on or off. i keep updating the extension in chrome, i keep clearing cache ( i should never have to go through that crap) and i keep coming here but io see no updates. i still see people posting stuff on reddit and elsewhere about it so you should probably have a sticky on this topic till it is actually resolved

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Are you using the Base and Experimental filters? You might need to clear browser caches and delete YouTube cookies after enabling those. Some of the ads should be blocked there, but like @Chinaski said Google keeps changing the implementation (which can be different from person to person it seems).

Otherwise the filter developers still can't reproduce the new ads. I can't either with my multiple accounts.

Here's my personal opinion on this... Google is eventually going to move to ads that can't be blocked with ad blockers (aka unblockable ads), the ads will be embedded into the videos and attempting to block them will break the videos themselves. This kind of thing is already becoming a reality with these advertisement experiments they've been doing for months now. It seems Google will do this then push their YouTube Premium subscriptions as a way to allow ad-free YouTube. So do note that YouTube ad blocking won't work forever and eventually you'll have to make a decision, whether or not to live with the ads or get a YouTube Premium subscription to get rid of them. I personally saw the writing on the wall a year and a half ago and already got a YouTube Premium subscription for my main account.

Twitch is also experimenting with unblockable ads and moving that direction.