YouTube Ads with AdGuard DNS

Cascade

Hi,

I am using AdGuard DNS on my router. When I run the YouTube app on my Android 6 phone, I still see sponsored pre-roll video ads in the app. Is it possible to blocks ads in the YouTube app using just AdGuard DNS? Could the filter lists be updated to support this?

Thanks.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester

Cascade

Thanks for confirming - I thought that might be the case. Another workaround is to use YouTube in a web browser on Android and then block the ads at the browser level (where there is more control).

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Indeed, that's what I do with YouTube and it actually works pretty well in the web browser.

Virtual Serviços

In fact, noble moderator, there was rather a separate domain for ADS and Sponsorship in the videos.

I used OpenDNS (service that actually blocks domains based), I found the domain and added it as a rule to be locked in the control panel, it worked fine, I did not see any ads, even on cell phones, TV's, and other devices!

But in its free version, OpenDNS worked with fixed IP, and my IP's (I have 3 providers) are dynamic, so whenever my IP changed, I had to go to the panel and change my IP provider, so I'm testing the AdGuard, and so I came up to this post.

Mr. moderator, would you like to verify and / or test the domain that I inform you?

With the competitor it worked 100%.

Accel

Beta Tester
In fact, noble moderator, there was rather a separate domain for ADS and Sponsorship in the videos.

I used OpenDNS (service that actually blocks domains based), I found the domain and added it as a rule to be locked in the control panel, it worked fine, I did not see any ads, even on cell phones, TV's, and other devices!

But in its free version, OpenDNS worked with fixed IP, and my IP's (I have 3 providers) are dynamic, so whenever my IP changed, I had to go to the panel and change my IP provider, so I'm testing the AdGuard, and so I came up to this post.

Mr. moderator, would you like to verify and / or test the domain that I inform you?

With the competitor it worked 100%.

which domain?

Virtual Serviços

which domain?
Good afternoon my friend!

For a long time I have added the domains (over 6 months), I am not sure which domain is right, I have 25 domains in the regas of my control panel, I will delete the ones that I am sure are not and you send only those who have doubts that may be:

ad.zanox.com
b.t.tailtarget.com
doubleclick.net
r.turn.com
tailtarget.com

Most of these domains can not be directly accessed, they only respond to ADS requesting domains, so I believe that direct testing via URL in the browser will not work. When I tested OpenDNS I just made sure that it blocked when I pointed it in the control panel, so the ads on the youtube URL stopped appearing.

(sorry for my agreement, I'm using a translator, I do not speak English)

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
As far as I know, just outright blocking the doubleclick.net domain *can* break websites.

Virtual Serviços

As far as I know, just outright blocking the doubleclick.net domain *can* break websites.
While I was on my blacklist here, I never had a problem with blocked sites, but I can change the DNS to use the OpenDNS service and test some website that you suspect is affected, do you have a hunch?

freshhh

Never seen ads in Youtube with AG.
seriously? it could be because of your geo location?

i'm having tons of YouTube ads since end of 2018, I cannot use YT anymore because it has become so annoying

for android i've installed another client that is able to do what AdGuard cannot do anymore without root but I need a free one for Windows and can't find it… only found a shareware called Mini YouTube