YouTube Ads with AdGuard DNS

Discussion in 'Missed Ads' started by Cascade, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Cascade

Cascade Member

Hi,

I am using AdGuard DNS on my router. When I run the YouTube app on my Android 6 phone, I still see sponsored pre-roll video ads in the app. Is it possible to blocks ads in the YouTube app using just AdGuard DNS? Could the filter lists be updated to support this?

Thanks.

2. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

The YouTube app on Android can't be filtered anymore (well, for now, there's going to be new research on this in the future). And no, it's not possible to block them via DNS as DNS blocking blocks whole domains. YouTube loads everything (videos, ads, etc.) from a single domain.

https://forum.adguard.com/index.php...cant-filter-and-or-remove-the-ads-from.25182/

The only workaround is using a modified YouTube app like iYTBP.

3. Cascade

Cascade Member

Thanks for confirming - I thought that might be the case. Another workaround is to use YouTube in a web browser on Android and then block the ads at the browser level (where there is more control).

4. Boo Berry

Indeed, that's what I do with YouTube and it actually works pretty well in the web browser.

5. Virtual Serviços

Virtual Serviços New Member

In fact, noble moderator, there was rather a separate domain for ADS and Sponsorship in the videos.

I used OpenDNS (service that actually blocks domains based), I found the domain and added it as a rule to be locked in the control panel, it worked fine, I did not see any ads, even on cell phones, TV's, and other devices!

But in its free version, OpenDNS worked with fixed IP, and my IP's (I have 3 providers) are dynamic, so whenever my IP changed, I had to go to the panel and change my IP provider, so I'm testing the AdGuard, and so I came up to this post.

Mr. moderator, would you like to verify and / or test the domain that I inform you?

With the competitor it worked 100%.

6. Accel

Accel Beta Tester

which domain?

7. Virtual Serviços

Good afternoon my friend!

For a long time I have added the domains (over 6 months), I am not sure which domain is right, I have 25 domains in the regas of my control panel, I will delete the ones that I am sure are not and you send only those who have doubts that may be:

ad.zanox.com
    b.t.tailtarget.com
    doubleclick.net
    r.turn.com
    tailtarget.com

Most of these domains can not be directly accessed, they only respond to ADS requesting domains, so I believe that direct testing via URL in the browser will not work. When I tested OpenDNS I just made sure that it blocked when I pointed it in the control panel, so the ads on the youtube URL stopped appearing.

(sorry for my agreement, I'm using a translator, I do not speak English)

8. Boo Berry

As far as I know, just outright blocking the doubleclick.net domain *can* break websites.

9. Virtual Serviços

While I was on my blacklist here, I never had a problem with blocked sites, but I can change the DNS to use the OpenDNS service and test some website that you suspect is affected, do you have a hunch?

10. freshhh

freshhh Active Member

unfortunately those domains aren't enough to block YouTube ads

11. Alex302

Alex302 Filters Developer Staff Member Administrator

Never seen ads in Youtube with AG.