Youtube "Hide your user-agent" issue

risug

If I have "Hide your user-agent" enabled (with custom user-field left blank) it results in most of the video thumbnail panels being blank and the YouTube logo being blocked.
In addition, videos cannot be played in fullscreen.

Here are pics of the issues:

One other problem - I don't have a girlfriend or a date for Valentine's day, hence my being here.
There isn't a filter rule for that is there? Like @@||getalife.com/upload.php :)

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Try using some real user agent instead of the default one supplied by AG.

By default AG uses some Chrome user agent, I guess it could cause some issues when you mask IE as Chrome.

One other problem - I don't have a girlfriend or a date for Valentine's day, hence my being here.
There isn't a filter rule for that is there? Like @@||getalife.com/upload.php
Of course there is!:)

Try this one:
Code:
http*$empty

risug

Of course there is!:)

Try this one:
Code:
http*$empty
LOL! :D

I've been using the following user-agent for the time being - Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i586; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0
A downside is getting the "Oops, your web browser is no longer supported" page when I visit YouTube for the first time after clearing the browser history.
Clicking "No Thanks" to the browser upgrade offer allows access to the site. The YouTube player gets retrograded to Flash from HTML5, but I'm ok with that for now.
With most of the user-agents I've tried, YouTube will function normally in every way except allowing the video to put into full screen.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Here's my user agent from the latest stable Google Chrome build on Linux...

Code:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/48.0.2564.109 Safari/537.36
And here's my user agent from the latest stable Firefox build on Linux...

Code:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:44.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/44.0

risug

Boo Berry, many thanks for the assistance.

The Google Chrome build on Linux user-agent causes the same issues shown in the pics I posted.

The Firefox build on Linux does not allow full screen mode (video thumbnail images and the YouTube logo are not blocked).

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I suppose that you shouldn't change the browser type.

Just use IE user agent:
Code:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/7.0; AS; rv:11.0) like Gecko

risug

I suppose that you shouldn't change the browser type.

Just use IE user agent:
Code:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/7.0; AS; rv:11.0) like Gecko
I will use that, thank you.
I liked the idea of being less of a target for nefarious code with a Linux user-agent, but between my antivirus program and Adguard I'll be fine.